Re: [Amps] Capacitor plague

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Capacitor plague
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:25:33 -0500
Cliff,

What I enjoyed about the article is it named the names of the companies who
made the dud caps. I'ce new about this for a good while, I just never knew all
the brands.

The way electrolytic caps work is a whole horse of a different color than any
other cap. The electrolyte in an electrolytic actually acts like the second
plate, and not the un-anodized piece of foil. That foil is really just to make
a connection to the electrolyte. The anodizing on the other foil acts as the
insulator. This being the case, an electrolytic acts a little like a diode thus
having to be polarized. So really the capacitance is from the electrolyte to
the anodized piece of foil. If the electrolyte leaks, the capacitance will
drop. If its chemical makeup changes, so will the capacitance. Once the
anodizing is breached enough, you get a bang.

Best,

Wil