[Amps] ÂParasitics & Filament Sag

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: [Amps] ÂParasitics & Filament Sag
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 09:47:14 +0200 (CEST)
Tom said:
>When the obviously false notion a bias change can have a
waveform change so sharp it will "ring" a VHF circuit in the
anode system of an HF amplifier is coupled with the fact
that a spectrum analyzer could never capture a dampened
waveform,<

Is this totally correct with some of the new generation of FFT based spectrum
analysers, Tom?
Admittedly, it would seem to me that a better tool for this would be a sampling
oscilloscope, such as the LeFroy, which will capture single cycles of 2.4GHz,
and do FFTs, thus acting as a spectrum analyser (although without the
resolution of the conventional spec an.).
The only difficulty is the price tag around $38k...................
Now if I'd gone into RF integrated circuit design and gone to California,
rather than into applications and systems engineering, I could confidently
expect to be  having to scrape by on about $200k a year and could afford
one.......And even then, it's very doubtful if any VHF ringing would be seen.
73
Peter G3RZP