[Amps] Fixed Padder Capacitors --- POSTSCRIPT

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Fixed Padder Capacitors --- POSTSCRIPT
From: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 06:52:03 -0500
Good Day All,

Just a "...final-final" in the matter of fixed mica / ceramic padder capacitors
in the final tank circutry of my 2x813 linear amplifier...

After I had removed & replaced my original series / parallel network of fixed
padders in the plate tuning of the tank circuit (with a combination of a
250-pfd. fixed vacuum capacitor & a fully-meshed 3.5 kv air variable placed in
parallel), I went one step further & removed the large doorknob cap that I used
to switch in parallel with the big 3-section air variable loading capacitor on
160.

The replacement in this instance was actually the air variable loading
capacitors --- placed in parallel --- out of a pair of junked Heathkit SB-400
transmitters that I have here. I had mis-givings about the "robustness" of
these rascals (the plates are not that far apart, if you've ever seen one), but
Bill Orr in one of his HANDBOOKS stated that a receiving-type air variable
capacitor is perfectly OK to use as a loading cap in a final pi-tank coil, even
if the amplifier in question was to be used in a (then) legal limit operation,
AND plate modulated!

Anyway, I'm happy to report that nothing has arced over thus far, and I have a
QSO with VK3ZL (thanks, Rob!) in the log from this morning on 160-meters to
prove it, Hi Hi.

Happy DX'ing & vy

~73!~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ