[Amps] Class D RF amplifier

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Class D RF amplifier
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 08:38:19 -0700
Speaking of QEX, in the spring issue, I think it was March/April,
there was an article by "Fritz" Raab on a complementary MOSFET class
D RF amplifier for 80 meters. The IRF610 N channel device is still
around, but the Supertex p channel device is obsolete. I researched
and found several viable complementary devices which can be tried in
this circuit. Nothing with Vdd above 250 VDC. Contact me if you try
to build this, and want to use current generation parts. The upper
FET in the circuit diagram is shown reversed, actually the two drains
need to be connected in common at the output, not as shown in the
article.

This is a very cool amplifier in that it has no output or input
transformer, just capacitive coupling. Efficiency is high, and of
course, it is nonlinear, so that it would need to be used CW, AM with
a modulator, or in an Envelope Elimination and Restoration amplifier
configuration.

73
John
K5PRO