Re: [Amps] Switching PS for filaments?

To: <TexasRF@aol.com>, <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Switching PS for filaments?
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 12:48:09 -0500
> It may be 1 in 1000 but if you are the 1 you might well
> think the number is
> 1 in 1. After loosing the filament in a couple of 8877s
> and a TH347 over the
> years, I have become one of the fanatics!

.....and you know the filament would NOT have failed anyway
in that 1-in-1000 case WITH protection in that same tube
because ......????

Sometimes, like it or not, things just fail because they
have a manufacturing defect. That sometimes triggers us into
finding a pathological cure.

That's certainly OK so long as we know we are leaping to
conclusions. :-)

Of course it is a good idea to not use a transformer and
wiring that can dump 100 amperes into a 10 amp filament, the
question is what really caused the failure.

73 Tom