Re: [Amps] questions about hi pot tester

To: barrie@centric.net, crazytvjohn@yahoo.com, stevek@jmr.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] questions about hi pot tester
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 16:09:15 EST

One useful source of high voltage parts is from old microwave ovens. In
particular, the power transformer, filter capacitors and diodes are plentiful
and
cheap on Ebay.

The filter caps are typically .95 microfarads and will easily handle more
than 6500vdc. One transformer, four diodes in a 4X multplier and four
capacitors
 will generate approximately 13kv.

To prevent damage to the component under test, the current should be
limited. One very easy way to do that is by using a Tripplett 630, set for 6kv,
 in
series with the output. The 630 will indicate full scale at a current flow of
60 microamps and what ever the reading is in volts should be deducted from the
 power supply voltage reading to determine the actual breakdown voltage.

I use a small 2 amp Variac to vary the primary voltage, allowing output
voltage to be set over a range of 0 to 13kv. At greater than 6kv, I use two 630

meters in series and add their readings to measure the output voltage.

Yes it is a kludge, but it does work quite well, especially considering the
cost.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 1/3/2008 2:37:58 P.M. Central Standard Time,