Re: [Amps] Relays

To: 'Amps' <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Relays
From: Paul Kelley N1BUG <paul.kelley.n1bug@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:47:12 -0400
Nice work Larry.

I haven't personally tested enough radios to be sure but I have a
strong hunch most of the newer radios are better than some of the
older ones in this respect. The radio with 3 ms was a much older
Icom (740). Very scary.

With firmware upgradeable radios watch out for changes with upgrades
though. My current radio used to have 15 ms between assertion of amp
control logic to RF output. After a firmware update it dropped to 7
ms. Some radios also have more than one possible means of
controlling an amp - eg. a set of relay contacts intended for that
purpose and an open collector output which is often 1 to 3 ms
faster. I used the latter with a homebrew interface in order to give
my amp's vacuum relays a little extra time to switch (in this case
they don't need it, but it makes me feel better!)

73,
Paul N1BUG