Re: [Amps] Alpha 77Dx Filament Mod Update

To: "'Paul Christensen'" <w9ac@arrl.net>, "'Amps Amps'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 77Dx Filament Mod Update
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 11:23:45 -0500
Hi Paul,

I was always under the impression that the 8877 should have the filament
tied to the cathode in the amp as there is little tolerance in the voltage
that the tube can withstand between cathode and filament.

An arc could raise the cathode well above filament if not tied together and
cause a short filament to cathode. I think W8JI has discussed this in the
past.

Another thing to check if you are not going to tie filament to cathode is if
your gas tubes can handle the energy available from the power supply in the
event of an arc.

73
Gary  K4FMX