Re: [Amps] Remote QSK

To: Gary@doctorgary.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Remote QSK
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 17:32:45 -0800
Gary Smith wrote:

> I've got an unused silicone covered RJ1A vacuum relay which would be
> perfect for quiet relay operation and I would be more than happy to
> homebrew my own remote QSK rather than buying the assembled unit but
> all my google searching has not come up with a schematic to build a
> remote QSK. Does anyone know of a link that can help me find a
> working schematic for this?

I did this with the Rich Measures circuit. I put a vacuum relay in one small
aluminum box
and reed relay in another. A third box contained the power supply, transistor
switch, etc.
The relay boxes can be attached to the back of any amplifier with double-male
coax
adapters, and there's a short coax jumper between the two (I used BNC's for
this). I feed
the relay voltages through feedthrough capacitors to reduce the chance of
feedback around
the amplifier.

It's a bit haywire compared to simply installing the system in the amplifier,
but it's
useful if you want to QSK-ize an amplifier that you don't intend to keep.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco