[Amps] Tuning my SB-1000

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Tuning my SB-1000
From: Tom Mandera <tsm1@tmcom.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 00:24:21 -0600
Things look better after another day of research and thinking..

First, the cover came off for photos and cursory inspection, with
nothing visibly damaged.

http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/postnuke/index.php?module=mGallery2&g2_itemId=50718

After a bunch of pictures, the cover went back on.

Idle current, with the relay shorted but no exciter input, was the
desired 80ma.

I then tried tuning it up to 3900 on 80M (75) again.

http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/postnuke/index.php?module=mGallery2&g2_itemId=50718&g2_page=4

Plate wound up nearly mid point on the dial (straight up), Load at 4.3.

As indicated by the meters, with about 9/10 drive from the exciter, I
was in the neighborhood of 170ma Grid, 500ma Plate key down.

The power indicated perhaps 200w on the built in (amp) power meter,
though I'm told they're notorious liars.  I need to dig out my SWR/watt
meter and determine if it'll take 1,000w before I hook it up inline to
verify.  I didn't find any one to do an A/B test with tonight, but
perhaps tomorrow night.

No bad noises tonight, so that's a good thing.

I located two hams with a total of 5 tube testers tonight.  I haven't
placed a call yet to get some assistance with tuning the amp by someone
that knows what they're doing.  Perhaps this weekend - I need to clean
up my station a bit if I'm going to have guests over. :)

Thank you all for your assistance,

73
-Tom
KE7VUX