Re: [Amps] grounding grids

To: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>, "Herzog" <herzog@frontiernet.net>, "Ham-amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] grounding grids
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 16:37:35 -0400
I was taking IMD and other measurements long before the Internet got
popular. Ive also made the results available enough times on amplifier
forums the past 15 or so years that I would have thought it would have sunk
in by now. Instead the subject keeps coming back over and over again. Even
my first wife learned faster!

For the SB-220, IMD is 2-3dB better with the grids as designed by Heathkit.
A small part of that may be the 100W less output affecting the PS regulation
which isnt that good to start with. Going to 330 uF caps in the PS helps a
bit. CDE 330uF 450V 105*C 381LX series fit perfectly into the existing
blocks. Going to 75K equalizers adds another bit less current drain.

Adding an attenuator in the RF path between the input network and the tube
further reduces power but a 10 Ohm 10W resistor that is non inductive at 10M
is hard to come by and 2W carbons are not exactly growing on trees these
days nor are they resistance stable with RF over time. Using MOX resistors
adds some inductance that has to be tuned out on 10-15M and that is a PITA
and not worth the effort IMO.

Carl
KM1H