Re: [Amps] What do you think of these HV Connectors

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] What do you think of these HV Connectors
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 16:57:02 +0100
On 05/27/10 04:14 PM, Lee Buller wrote:

> Been doing a search for SHV connectors on the internet.  Found some that are
> quite expensive.  Here are some that I found that are affordable.
>
> http://www.surplussales.com/Wire-Cable/HVWire-2.html
>
> What does the experts think of theses (pay to attention to the Millen product)
>
> Lee - K0WA

I've used SHV in professional applications and found them very good, though the
currents in my case where not large. They would be impossible to mate with a
normal BNC - something I doubt is true with the lower spec MHV, where I think
someone sufficiently stupid could probably mate them together. (Never
underestimate the ingenuity of fools).

The SHV would certainly not be in that case.

Unlike some on this list, I don't believe skimping on high voltage connectors
using things like PL-259 is sensible. In fact, as a chartered engineer, I
suspect the engineering council would consider using PL-259s gross negligence
and strip me of my chartered engineer status.

Dave