Re: [Amps] The Pin One Problem

To: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] The Pin One Problem
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 16:53:36 -0400
You stated in that memo (Id steer away from "tutorial as K9YC has a lock on that term) that :

" or any indication of inadequate shielding. It rather is caused by AC currents that flow on the outer surface of the interconnecting cable shields."

How can that be since copper has a skin depth of 8.6mm at 60 Hz which is many, many times thicker than the typical shield wire mesh used in audio and other consumer cables? Tin plating is invisible at 60Hz.

Hum on those systems is not common mode related but a simple case of a difference in potential between various pieces of equipment. This has been known since broadcasting began and the first PA system.

As far as your later statement about using vintage mikes, I own several D-104's (unamplified) and other mikes that can be switched or mixed using standard surplus BC equipment on vintage AM ham gear. There is no hum with proper grounding techniques even with several audio pieces daisy chained.

The D-104 is capable of over 2V output and "wants" a 5-20M grid termination for full available bandwidth.This is not a Pug n Play mike for a SS SSB rig. If some were to use a matching transformer with a Station Pro consider the degradation with a low quality transformer if driving a tube transmitter. On most tube type or SS SSB audio is bad already so restricted bandwidth of the D-104 may be tolerable if there is a way to limit the driving voltage.

I cant find any data on the Heil XT-1 and suspect it is not a good choice for the D-104 if broadcast audio is desired. Restricting the mike response/bandwith is not the way to do it since it also modifies the pattern, do the shaping in the transmitters audio chain for the desired transmitted bandwidth. I prefer 7-8 KHz total on AM and have tailored the equipment to that.

BTW, Heil does sell a dynamic element for the D-104 which will then interface with a wide range of vintage and newer gear.

Vintage dynamic mikes are fine with 50K.

Carl

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>