Re: [Amps] Building an Amp 101

To: "Jerry" <jsternmd@att.net>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Building an Amp 101
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 14:03:56 -0500
There is only one person who has to look at it and the first one doesnt have to be museum quality.

I usually start at the local metal recyclers and make several trips over a few months picking up aluminum and steel sheet, angle, useable chassis, rack panels etc. Panels can be trimmed if you dont want the full 19" and chassis can have a fresh overlay of aluminum or steel sheet.

Sheet metal screws and pop rivets work as well for radio projects as with old vehicles. Ages ago road signs were a primary source of sheet metal for everything from homebrew to patching rusted floors and trunks (-;

Hamfests and the local electronics surplus dealers around New England provide dirt cheap enclosures as well as all sorts of RF and power supply parts. Im sure sources are everywhere if you look hard enough and have patience.

When the raw materials are cheap you practice and learn how to cut, bend and form sheetmetal. Places like Harbor Freight have some Chinese home shop junk that actually works well....for awhile.

I built my first amp in 1957 and the last one was 2 years ago, a custom 6M serious QRO amp for a customer in South America. Since he deals in container load export/import the shipping wasnt a problem.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry" <jsternmd@att.net>