Re: [Amps] RG6 question

To: "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RG6 question
From: Glen Zook via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 12:35:16 -0700
I replaced the matching sections in my pair of 40-meter phased verticals with
RG-6/U and, so far, haven't had any problems running 1400-watts with the array.
 The particular RG-6/U that I used has a velocity factor of 0.81 (as measured
by me).  From various specification sheets found on the Internet, depending on
manufacturer, the velocity factor ranges from about 0.80 to 0.84.  These
sections are just over 23-feet long.

Because of the different velocity factors, I definitely suggest actually
measuring the velocity factor before using the cable in applications in which
the velocity factor plays a role.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com

On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 2:11 PM, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

On 6/17/2014 10:53 AM, Carl wrote:
> Do any list RF power and voltage specs?

Some do, some don't. Like anything else, some mfrs publish better data
sheets than others. For example, compare Fair-Rite's data sheets with
any other mfr of ferrite parts.

Nearly all list the composition of the center conductor and the shield.
Most commonly available RG6sare designed for CATV/MATV, with copper clad
steel center, a thin Al foil shield, and maybe a thin braid. It doesn't
take much more than common sense to figure out that a thin foil shield
won't handle much power, and at MF and HF will be pretty lossy. There
are others with a solid copper center and a more robust braid. Belden
makes an RG6 with a double copper braid shield. I found a similar cable
with Pasternak's name on it in a surplus house, and grabbed it at a very
good price.

73, Jim K9YC