Re: [Amps] The genius of ham radio

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] The genius of ham radio
From: "qrv@kd4e.com" <qrv@kd4e.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 15:08:19 -0500
I should have typed "Didn't we once believe that a bumblebee
should not be able to fly?"

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1076/is-it-aerodynamically-impossible-for-bumblebees-to-fly

"... a faulty analogy between bees and conventional fixed-wing aircraft.
Bees' wings are small relative to their bodies. If an airplane were
built the same way, it'd never get off the ground. But bees aren't like
airplanes, they're like helicopters. Their wings work on the same
principle as helicopter blades — to be precise, "reverse-pitch
semirotary helicopter blades," to quote one authority. A moving airfoil,
whether it's a helicopter blade or a bee wing, generates a lot more lift
than a stationary one.

"The real challenge with bees wasn't figuring out the aerodynamics but
the mechanics: specifically, how bees can move their wings so fast —
roughly 200 beats per second, which is 10 or 20 times the firing rate of
the nervous system. The trick apparently is that the bee's wing muscles
(thorax muscles, actually) don't expand and contract so much as vibrate,
like a rubber band. A nerve impulse comes along and twangs the muscle,
much as you might pluck a guitar string, and it vibrates the wing up and
down a few times until the next impulse comes along. Cecil is sliding
over a few subtleties here, but nobody ever said science for the masses
was pretty."

— Cecil Adams

--

*David*
~KD4E~

Safe & Secure Search Engine: duckduckgo.com