Re: [Amps] new amp race

To: "Amps group" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] new amp race
From: "Mark Bitterlich" <markbitterlich@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 18:24:27 -0400

catherine.james@att.net wrote:

I'd blame this more on sunspot lows than egos. Egos have always been with us, but
we are seeing unprecedented poor solar conditions.

Bill Turner" <dezrat@outlook.com replied by saying:

The answer to low sunspots is not a bigger amplifier, it's a bigger
antenna. The biggest amp in the world won't help your reception.

markbitterlich@embarqmail.com (that would be me) writes:

I think the decision to go with a bigger amp, or a bigger antenna depends on just what your interests are in regard to ham radio. If you are die-hard QRP operator, then obviously there is no question here, an antenna with more gain, lower take-off angle (etc., etc.) is going to be the answer.

If you are looking to work stations that you can't hear with the best receiver available, then once again a bigger/better antenna is probably the best choice.

But many operators here have pointed out really good examples of where adding additional power is a better answer and their logic is sound. A really great example is working DX. During most DX-peditions it is a case of the DX station hearing your signal where the noise floor has been raised by a staggering amount. Of course there are many tricks involved with working a rare one, but running enough power is a huge factor, and the cost issue in obtaining that additional 10-11 dB is a lot cheaper with an amp, versus a foundation, a tower, a rotator, and a beam, and has been pointed out, the amp usually covers just about every band out there, and with DX, "band slots" count!

A few years ago, I started completely from scratch working DX again. All my previous logbooks and QSL cards were destroyed, so after the "pity party, party of one", I bit the bullet and started over. Being an amplifier fanatic (and let me digress by saying why else be a member of the AMPS GROUP if you like building antennas more than building amps?) I spent every cent I had on the best radio I could buy, and then put up wires in trees. Straight dipoles, OCF's, end feds, coax fed, open wire fed, etc. Then I put together some good amplifiers. The result is that in two years I have worked over a hundred countries on 80/40/20/17/15/12/10, and have just a few more to confirm before I get the award. 160 meters yet to go, a whole new world, but I have no doubt that the amps will make a huge difference there as well... along with LOTS of wire!

So the bottom line is that there is no one answer that fits all conditions and situations. It's a personal choice and Caveat Emptor applies. At least that is how I see it, and of course I could be wrong.

Mark
wa3jpy