[Amps] KQ2M ACOM 2000A Amp. S/N 990171 "Heater Current Too Low" problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] KQ2M ACOM 2000A Amp. S/N 990171 "Heater Current Too Low" problem
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 13:36:20 -0500
Hi,

My ACOM2000a had been working perfectly since Feb 2017 after being repaired for
a “Heater Current Too  Low” problem.   At THAT time it turned out to be the
cheap plastic connector failure – which overheated and burned/discolored – (I
had heard the telltale “Thunk” and smelled a slight burning smell.)   With the
amp working perfectly for the previous few days, I turned it off before leaving
for Thanksgiving dinner.

The next morning (the day of CQWWCW) I turned it back on and IMMEDIATELY, after
~ 3 seconds - got the dreaded  “ Heater Current Too Low  0.00v ” message.  So
the amp doesn’t work.  It’s like they KNOW when it is most advantageous for
them to fail.

I tried all the usual strategies – inspecting the HV area and underneath the
tubes, reseating the tubes, removing the transformer and checking all the fuses
and plastic connectors for damage/failure and then reconnecting them.  I also
swapped RCU’s with another working ACOM2000a and swapped outlets, just in case.
  I then turned on the amp and FAILURE after the same 3 second “boot-up”
period”.  Same error message “ Heater Current Too Low  0.00v ”   UGH!

Something apparently changed in the amp between the time that I shut it off on
Thursday evening and when I turned it on again early Friday morning, but I have
no idea what happened or what changed.

Does anyone know what the problem could be or what I should look at next?  I
would really like to be able to diagnose and fix this myself if possible.

Tnx & 73

Bob  KQ2M