Re: [Amps] Cleaning open frame TR relay

To: Mark - N5OT <r-emails@n5ot.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Cleaning open frame TR relay
From: William Miller <wmillerfromtherez@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 13:16:47 -0400
I ran into the same situation.

My technique was to use a strip (cut to the width of the contacts) of heavy
80 lb paper about 1.5" long, and secured one end of it to a hemostat.
I "soaked" the loose end of the paper with DeOxit and lifted the relay arm
with a dental pick to insert the wet strip between the contacts.
I was only able to "pull" the paper in one direction so multiple passes
were needed to satisfy myself that the contacts were clean & corrosion free.
I also changed the paper strip 3+ times for each of the 3 contacts that
needed cleaning then ran dry strips to remove any excess DeOxit.

Radio has been working FB for a couple of years now & I have not had any
further relay contact issues to date.

Hope this helps,
Bill

Virus-free.