Re: [Amps] Question on Troubleshooting an Alpha 8410 Problem

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Question on Troubleshooting an Alpha 8410 Problem
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 05:03:24 -0600
>I thought maybe a random electrically fast transient on the lines (truly a
>stretch).

It's not a stretch.  I have an amplifier that would lose its line
fuses mysteriously even when it was sitting there doing nothing for
months.  It turned out that a transmitter on the same 20A 240 v. feed
would put power supply transients on the AC line every time it went
off the air because of pulses whenever the plate and modulator supply
transformer fields would collapse.  Since I don't use both at the same
time, the fix was to simply unplug the amp when not in use.

If you have anything else inductive on your amplifier AC feed, maybe a
compressor, put a scope on the line, slow down the trace and adjust
the v./div so the normal AC is just a ripple and watch to see what
happens when the load shuts off.

73
Rob
K5UJ