Re: [Amps] 8877 heater open circuit after shipping

To: Alan Ibbetson <alan@g3xaq.net>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 8877 heater open circuit after shipping
From: Facility 406 <facility_406@bruteforcedevelopment.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 13:03:29 -0700
On 3/25/2023 11:05, Alan Ibbetson wrote:
He is returning the tube for me see for myself. And yes, I know the date
code on the one I sent him :-)

I wonder if there could be a subtle way of marking items? One way I ID items is to compare surface blemishes, but this would only work if you had photos of a good portion of the tube, especially uniquely identifying portions, such as a scratch, tarnished fingerprint, et cetera. I do this with more important items, easily generating 75-100 pics.

I had a problem with a piece of equipment that had gone out for work, and came back with missing, and different fasteners on it. Between mis-routed wires, hoses, cables, harnesses, and missing/changed fasteners, it cost me ~$800, and about a year and a half to straighten out.

Researching marking techniques, I discovered at the time, "proofing stamps" used in an industry, when an item is tested. I considered having a unique stamp made for marking parts, and fasteners, but never followed through.

Here is one company I came across:

https://microstampcorp.com/

I knew a fellow that did a lot of machining that used something like this:

https://microstampcorp.com/portfolio-item/the-trace-mark/

One trick we had in the electronics industry, was to mark bad chips, mostly Intel, and AMD. We'd take the metal top off, then mark the traces inside, either our names, or even foul comments (with no names), if the trace was big enough, then re-seal, and send back.

Imagine writing a sentence on the EDGE of a sheet of paper, in script! It became a contest.

We never heard if anyone found our messages.

Kurt