Re: [Amps] step start

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] step start
From: Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 23:06:19 +0300
Plate voltage regulation on a tetrode is not very important, because the screen voltage has a much greater influence on the plate current. 93 uf is quite a lot for the plate supply, imho more than you need.The screen regulation is critical with this tube, because the screen current has to be kept within narrow limits to protect the screen (it will go negative easily). It is also important for reasonable IMD characteristics. You should consider using some kind of active regulator circuit in the screen circuit. Soft start is useful to protect diode and relays in the power supply, or tube filaments or heaters. It is not relevant to plate or screen voltage. One important point: NEVER turn on screen voltage before plate voltage! Make sure this can't happen by accident. The screen will go up like a fireworks display if it does. Either turn them on together, or turn on the plate voltage first, followed by the screen. And make sure there is a 3-minute delay from when the heater is powered on until plate and screen voltages are applied.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
Formerly K2VCO