Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions

To: "Frank Hunt" <zl2br@ihug.co.nz>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions
From: Ed K1EP <k1ep.list@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 08:11:13 -0500
At 12/19/2005 06:56 AM, Frank Hunt wrote:
>IMO if you are handing out serial numbers then, yes you are
>participating in the contest.
>If you don't send a log in then you are
>a participant who didn't send a log in. If you purposely or
>accidentally broke the rules, and that's why you didn't submit your
>log, you still should send it as a check log, that way you will help
>out the log-checkers.

If I am in a contest that requires serial numbers (or grids, or first names)
and if I work someone, casual or not, I have to put something in the log.   I
can't just make something up.  If I work a casual operator and he also works 5
people in the contest, then today's sophisticated log checking programs will
create that log whether or not he submits one.  So, the fact that a casual op
giving out a Q in a contest does send a serial number or grid or name, doesn't
make him a participant.  Take the opposite tact.  How can there be any casual
participants?  What you are saying is that either you participate in the
contest (and thus follow all the rules) or you do not make contact with anyone
in a contest.  Once you make a contact with a contester, you must figure out
what contest it is, what log format is required, where to send the log, what
the rules are, etc.  That would severely limit the fun in a contest, as has
been pointed out several times before.  Casual ops are casual,
  they hand out Qs (which for the person receiving the Q necessitate the
transfer of some particular information) but don't submit logs.  If I am mobile
and make a few Qs in some state QSO party or some small DX contest, I am not
going to hand in a log.  I won't even have a log, as I am not legally required
to keep one, nor will I while I am driving.  You can't require this for the
casual op, he (or she) just won't be casual anymore...he or she won't be there
anymore.