Re: [CQ-Contest] Second Century of Radio

To: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Second Century of Radio
From: "K0HB" <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 22:32:11 -0000

> We have already passed the threshold of radio-less radiosport.
> There are plans for a CQ100 contest in January 2010, which
> will be 100% internet-based.  Now that will level the playing
> field - no antennas, no QSB, reliable propagation independent
> of distance, everyone running the same power.  It will be what
> we all want, a test of operating ability - pure and simple.
> www.qsonet.com/programs.html.
>
> There will be another contest that will combine amateur band
> RF and CQ100.  If you can't get that mult on 20m, no problem
> - get it on CQ100 20m.
>
> Regarding the deeper principles of radio contesting, I am of
> the view that there are but two of them - use amateur-band RF
> throughout the signal path between the operators concerned,
> and don't use other communications systems to arrange,
> facilitate or complete contest QSOs. If our shared interest,
> amateur radio contesting, becomes (or already is) something
> else, then I suggest it needs a new name to reflect the
> changes.
>
> 73,
> Paul EI5DI

If there's no radio involved, then it's not radio contesting, regardless of
the century it happens in.

CQ100 is a computer game, not amateur radio, and the CQ100 contest is not
radio contesting, it's internet contesting.

No matter what my friend N0AX writes.

73, de Hans, K0HB
"Just a boy and his radio"