RFI

[RFI] My Station RFI Sources

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] My Station RFI Sources
From: Kris Mraz, N5KM" <mraz@aud.alcatel.com (Kris Mraz, N5KM)
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 14:36:16 -0600
Now that the upper HF bands are getting active I've discovered a
myriad of noise sources within my own shack. I'll be attacking
these and will report successes and failures. Here's the current
list:

PC: Various birdies leaking from all cables. Strong broadband hash
that, I believe, is coming from the switching power supply. This hash
is not affected by unplugging all cables from the PC.

Monitor: birdies from horizontal scanning rate.

HDR-300 rotator: Broadband hash. This also interferes with my TV
channel 5! (TV antenna is outside on mast at least 30 ft. away).

Packet: TNC (MFJ 1278) generates low level broadband hash. I haven't
tried removing cables to see where its leaking yet.

To work the weak ones on 10 and 15m I have to turn everything off.
This is not fun, as you can imagine. Can anyone suggest a starting
point for the switching power supply problem?

73
Kris N5KM
mailto:mraz@aud.alcatel.com

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html