RFI

[RFI] 2 meter interference in my phone system

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 2 meter interference in my phone system
From: jack.sippel@nellcorpb.com (jack.sippel@nellcorpb.com)
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 98 09:42:13 -0800
I recently added a 50 Watt 2 meter rig to my shack and last night my
wife politely told me that every time I transmitted (SSB) that she could
hear me while she was using the telephone (a hardwired one, not a
cordless).

I have a discone in the attic (neighborhood restrictions) which is about
15 feet from the phone line that runs down into my shack.  I suspect
that the other phone lines for the 2nd story are also in the attic, but
I think they are buried in the insulation.  I have a surge protector on
the telephone jack in my shack, but I don't know if it has any RFI
filtering.

I have seen ads for "dohickeys" in QST and other magazines that attach
to the phone or to the wiring are supposed to cure telephone
interference for around $25.  My question is how many will I need.  Just
one somewhere in the line?  One at the junction box?  One on every phone
(costly!)?

I also have occasional problems with my home alarm system (also
hardwired, also has wires in the attic) when transmitting on 15 meters.
Will these same devices help here as well?

Any other ideas welcomed.

73 de KU0KU, Jack
| Jack Sippel, KU0KU               <jack.sippel@nellcorpb.com> |
| former callsigns: KI0JJ, WB0TGZ, KB0YVE          FISTS #3933 |
| near Kansas City, Kansas, USA (38.875N 94.650W)  grid=EM28qv |
| HF: Kenwood TS-850S with 40/20/15/10m dipoles + 75ft longwire|
| V/UHF: Kenwood TS-790A with an attic discone,  Yaesu FT-50R  |
| digital:  HAMCOMM                                            |

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html