RFI

[RFI] TVI Help

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] TVI Help
From: k0il@qsl.net" <EEDWARDS@oppd.com (k0il@qsl.net)
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 12:44:06 -0600
>23 minutes into the contesting when I got that dreaded knock on the door by
>my next door neighbor complaining of TVI.
>No I am not using a low pass filter.

I'd at least get a good quality Low Pass filter for your shack to start with.
Don't know about the new one you mentioned, but they do help in certain cases.
 Go with whatever you can afford within reason.  No need to get esoteric here.
 A filter's a filter.  Without my LP filter I shut down the video board on my
Sony trinitron.  Have to turn the TV off then on again to get picture back.
This doesn't happen with LP filter installed.

You can then say you've got a filter that eliminates your signal from the TV
band.  So then you can tell your neighbor that it's the TV being suceptible to
your ham signal.  Get some of those ARRL Pamphlets to give to him.  It helps
if he understands he's not the only person in the world with this problem and
it's all your fault!

Without knowing much about the TV installation, it is difficult to determine
why you suddenly had TVI where you did not before.  Perhaps he got water into
a cable or connector, or water got into an antnenna mounted pre-amp?  (You
mentioned it rained.)  Perhaps it is only on a certain channel and he never
watched it while you were operating before.  Lot's of variables.

Make sure your station is using sound engineering installation techniques,
then go to work helping your neighbor resolve the problem on the TV end.  Try
a hi-pass filter for differential and ferrite chokes for common mode.  Do
these one at a time to see which one if any works.  Make sure his installation
has been done correctly.  I once found a missing "F" connector with the
cable's center conductor just stuck into a jack!  Replacing the connector
solved the problem.

I always recommend the ARRL's "RFI: How to Find It & Fix It" book to anyone
struggling with RFI/TVI/EMI!

73,
de ed -- K0iL
ARRL TS