RFI

[RFI] NEED TVI HELP

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] NEED TVI HELP
From: ADixon1@mobile.bam.com (ADixon1@mobile.bam.com)
Date: 2 Mar 98 09:51:22 EST
Dennis, W4DC-  I'd be tempted to bet on that amplifier your neighbor has,
as the main culprit.  That would likely be why nobody else in your
neighborhood has this problem, presuming he is the only one with an line
amplifier in his home.  Try removing it, as you say.  In any event, I would
suggest trying a low-pass filter in each of your antenna lines.  Then, a
high-pass filter in your neighbor's line, most likely just before his amp.
Be glad that he is being decent about the situation... good neighbor!
73 de Alan, N3HOE
replies to:  n3hoe@juno.com
-------------
Original Text
From: C=US/A=INTERNET/DDA=ID/CATALANO(u)DENIS(u)E(a)hq.navsea.navy.mi, on
3/2/98 08:14:

     Greetings all,  This is my first request on the RFI reflector.  Here
     is the situation:

     -I have a neighbor (friendly) about 150 yards down the road saying I'm
     tearing up his TVs when I operate.
     -he has multiple TVs with a VCR on each. Radio Shack amplifier feeding
     a splitter.  Interference is on all his TVs.  He has capped all open
     leads.
     - We are all on cable.
     - Problem appears to be isolated to when I operate low bands only,
     especially 80M, with 1000 watt amp.  At low power, 100 watts,
     interference is slightly perceptible.  I have separate antennas and
     feeds for each low band.  Happens with 2 different amps.  Using a
     TS-930S.
     -no other neighbors have complained.  My wife and kids haven't
     complained.  (I will check my TVs out for myself tonight).
     -I had cable company out to check for leaks in the area, not too long
     ago (in reference to noise being heard by me on higher bands).  No
     leaks were reported by cable company. {This problem will be addressed
     after I resolve neighbor problem}

     My first thought is his radio shack amp may be the problem.  I
     suggested to him that we take out the amp and see if interference
     remains.  We will do this next weekend.  His question, and mine, is
     why is this happening this lowband season, and not the previous ones
     when I was even more active.  I do have a B&W low pass filter 494, I
     think that I could put in line.  haven't tried that yet.  Anyway, any
     suggestions are appreciated.  Also, how do I get a copy of one of
     those ARRL brochures to convince neighbor that the problem could be
     his own???
             73 & TNX Denis, W4DC

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html