RFI

[RFI] HF Oscilator driven lighting lamps

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] HF Oscilator driven lighting lamps
From: Juan, EA5RS" <ea5rs@chusuk.arrakis.es (Juan, EA5RS)
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 12:51:49 +0000
I remember reading years ago a note in QST regarding the launch of a
lighting lamp driven by HF energy. Does anyone know if this kind of
systems are now widely used? What are the EMC requirements imposed to
this kind of equipment?

The reason I'm asking is because I suspect such a system could be the
source of a high level interference in my QTH. The noise is a
series of very narrow impulses at the rate of the power line
freq (50 Hz), covering from 16 MHz up to 30 MHz (may go up higher,
just don't have a receiver covering >30 MHz). The noise blanker is
very effective in removing it, but only when there are no strong
signals on the band. Interference power at my RX is in the order of
-85 dBm in a 6 KHz bandwidth anywhere between 16 and 30 MHz on a 3
el yagi, rendering the station useless for weak long path signal work
during the night ! There is little or no noise in the LF/MF car
radio when close to the suspect system, which  is 200m away from the
HF antenna and almost within line-of-sight, and produces a very
bright white - blue light. Externally it is a 10cm long tube in a
housing fit with an optical reflector and a glass window in front,
and there is a box on top where the AC line enters the housing.

Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance,
Juan, EA5RS

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html