RFI

[RFI] More suggestions

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] More suggestions
From: tduffy <tduffy@sygnet.com> (tduffy)
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 12:50:06 -0400
>From k3lr Fri May 1 23:36:41 1998 Received: from tacoma.nwrain.net
(root@tacoma.nwrain.net [205.134.220.9]) by dayton.akorn.net
(8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id XAA18027; Fri, 1 May 1998 23:36:40 -0400
(EDT) Received: by tacoma.nwrain.net (Smail-3.2.0.91 1997-Jan-14 #1)
id ; Fri, 1 May 1998 20:36:37 -0700 (PDT) Received: by
p22.stl1.nwrain.net with Microsoft Mail id
<01BD7540.A0130640@p22.stl1.nwrain.net>; Fri, 1 May 1998 20:35:06 -0700
To: <rfi@contesting.com>
rods??? Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 20:11:14 -0700 MIME-Version: 1.0
which precluded the use of copper in the grounding system, I think they
tried to solve a complex issue simplistically. There is more to the
situation than dissimilar metals (copper and galvanized [zinc]) being
near each other. Unanswered in my mind is how close to (or actually how
faraway from) each othjer they have to be before problems might occur.
The corrosivity of the soil is another issue left unaddressed. One
should measure the pH of the soil, preferably at the depth at which the
grounding system is to be installed. The pH testers sold at spa and
swimming pool places will suffice for ascertaining whether your soil is
acidic or alkaline. If your soil is acidic (most of the eastern US is),
you want to go with galvanized because the acid will attack the copper.
If your soil is alkaline, however, you want to avoid
galvanized/tin/aluminum grounding components because those metals are
quickly attacked in that environment. 73, Bob Wanderer AA0CY ex
PolyPhaser Sr Appl Engr now (Thank God) back in the cable television
industry but had to leave Nevada and move to Seattle. ---------- From:
k0il@qsl.net[SMTP:EEDWARDS@oppd.com] Sent: Friday, May 01, 1998 6:54 AM
To: rfi@contesting.com Subject: Re: [RFI] Copper clad or Galvanized
steel ground rods??? >Another question, which is better in clay type of
topsoil? I currently >have several copper clad one out and I assume I
should continue to use >copper clad on the ones I am soon to add? I've
used only copper clad rods since pure copper won't go straight into the
ground here with clay soil. I usually have to use a sledge hammer to get
'em all the way in. At home I use 8 ft copper clad. At work I use two
coupled 10 ft rods for 20 feet total. Remember to add grounding to tower
guys also; yet another path for lightning to follow away from your
shack. I understand the new EIA tower standards now specifies galvanized
steel rods, but I think that is due to corrosion of tower anchors in
certain parts of the USA. Copper clad should work okay for radials in
most of the USA. There's a company that specializes in this area called
"AnchorGaurd". They have a good web page with lot's of pictures of
corroded tower anchors and the catastrophic results. Also shows a map
that shows the areas of the country that have corrosive soils. You may
want to use galvanized steel rods on your guy wire's ground rods if you
live in those areas. Apparently Norht & South Dakotas have really bad
corrosive soils as does alot of Texas/Louisiana. See:
www.anchorgaurd.com for lot's more info. 73, de ed -- K0iL k0il@qsl.net
-- Submissions: rfi@contesting.com Administrative requests:
rfi-REQUEST@contesting.com WWW: http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html
Questions: owner-rfi@contesting.com