RFI

[RFI] RF immune Stereo Components?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RF immune Stereo Components?
From: Ed - K0iL <k0il@mitec.net> (Ed - K0iL)
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 11:19:36 -0500
On Sunday, 03 October, 1999 6:56 AM, Cady, Fred [SMTP:fcady@ee.montana.edu]
wrote:
> I am planning to buy a new stereo system and the choices locally are
> Denon (never heard of them before but thats what the local upscale hifi
> store touts), Yamaha, Kenwood and Sony.   Anybody have any good or bad
> things to say about any of thes or other suggestions?

Hi Fred:

I've never heard of any TV or Stereo equipment manufactured with RFI
filtering built in.  The reasoning goes something like this:  Why put
filtering for even $0.50 into the product when it is unnecessary 90% to 99%
of the time.  Most devices will never be located near a transmitter so it
would be a waste of money to put filtering on every single device or
product.  If they sell 100,000 products they save $50,000 by going without
filtering.  Even at $.50 that's quite a profit, and it probably would cost
a little more than that to do it right.

The only time I see filtering added (like ferrites on monitors) is when
it's necessary to meet FCC part 15 emission standards just so they can sell
the product.  I doubt it's to reduce RFI into the product.

So the bottom line: Go for the best value (lowest price for highest
quality) in your selection and buy lots of ferrites to add to the speaker
wires and cabling.  I always love hearing "It's a top-of-the-line stereo so
it must be your equipment that's at fault!"  In other words he thinks the
thing came with filtering because he paid more, but what he paid for was a
lower THD and other specs.  All that top-of-the-line system needs is $5 in
filtering and it's better than new no metter the price.

Good luck and let us know what you end up buying, and if it is RFI proof,
we really want to hear about that!!!

73,
de ed -K0iL
           Ed Edwards    --    K0iL
 PO Box 375                        k0il@arrl.net
 Elkhorn, NE 68022-0375       k0il@qsl.net
 496-3415 home   552-5425 work   552-5505 fax
 Visit my home page:  http://www.qsl.net/k0il

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html