RFI

[RFI] Thanks to All (PC Reboot Problem)

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Thanks to All (PC Reboot Problem)
From: P. M. Elliott" <pelliott@flash.net (P. M. Elliott)
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:04:28 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01BF1EBF.8FB42D40

Thanks to all who offered suggestions about the PC reboot problem.  A =
couple of comments:

- The shack and the air handler aren't on the same drop.  We have 400 =
amp service which comes into a pair of 200 amp panels.  The shack is on =
one panel, the air handler on the other.

- I forgot to mention something else in my original message.  Even =
though the two circuits are pretty well separated, I suspected voltage =
drop to start with.  But so far as I can tell there is no appreciable =
voltage drop on the shack circuit when the air handler comes on. I =
checked it over a period of a couple of weeks (borrowed a =
commercial-grade meter that would hold +/- peaks), and saw no =
fluctuation at any time greater than -0.4 volts, +0.3 volts from a =
baseline of 119.8 volts. I was surprised the line voltage was that =
solid. Unfortunately, no reboots happened during that time and I had to =
return the meter to its owner.  But based on this observation, I'd say =
that if the reboot problem is line voltage related, it's very =
intermittent.  That's why I began to suspect RFI.

Checking out other possibilities and applying other suggested remedies =
as time permits.  Thanks again to everybody.

73,
Paul N3GPU

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01BF1EBF.8FB42D40

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks to all who offered suggestions about the PC =
reboot=20
problem.&nbsp; A couple of comments:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>- The shack and the air handler aren't on the same =
drop.&nbsp;=20
We have 400 amp service which comes into a pair of 200 amp panels.&nbsp; =
The=20
shack is on one panel, the air handler on the other.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>- I forgot to mention something else in my original=20
message.&nbsp; Even though the two circuits are pretty well separated, I =

suspected voltage drop to start with.&nbsp; But so far as I can tell =
there is no=20
appreciable voltage drop on the shack circuit when the air handler comes =
on. I=20
checked it&nbsp;over a period of a couple of weeks (borrowed a =
commercial-grade=20
meter that would hold +/- peaks), and saw no fluctuation at any time =
greater=20
than -0.4 volts, +0.3 volts from a baseline of 119.8 volts.&nbsp;I was =
surprised=20
the line voltage was that solid. Unfortunately, no&nbsp;reboots happened =
during=20
that time and I had to return the meter to its owner.&nbsp; But based on =
this=20
observation, I'd say that if the reboot problem is line voltage related, =
it's=20
very intermittent.&nbsp; That's why I began to suspect RFI.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Checking out other possibilities and applying other =
suggested=20
remedies as time permits.&nbsp; Thanks again to everybody.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>73,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Paul N3GPU</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01BF1EBF.8FB42D40--

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html