RFI

[RFI] 100baseT ethernet RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 100baseT ethernet RFI
From: Michael Joens <joens@thecia.net> (Michael Joens)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 21:02:15 -0500
I have a similar problem with my 100Base-T network. Birdies all over 10m.
When I unplugged the cable from the shack computer, the birdies went away.
So for the duration of the contest, the network had to be down.

It would be nice to find a fix to the problem other than disabling the
network. I don't know how much interference we will get from neighbor's
modems as they become more commonplace. I'm sure if there is any, the
neighbor would probably be as unwilling to unplug his network during a
contest as we are unwilling to stop transmitting and interfereing with his
TV. So a good hardware solution is desirable. I think in the UK they
started regulating the permissible emissions from network adapters, etc. in
residential use. Maybe try to get a "CE" marked unit, as the European
regulations seem to be tougher, more specific and better enforced than Part
15.

Michael, K1JE