RFI

[RFI] RFI from low voltage lighting?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI from low voltage lighting?
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:05:11 -0500
At 09:36 AM 2/21/01 +1100, Brian.Goldsmith wrote:

> Bill and the list.Those aren't good old lamination and copper wire
>transformers,they are rotten stinking ~!@#$%^&*( switchmode supplies which
>as you have discovered emit RF across all bands!Pull 'em out and replace
>with iron! Bah,a pox on the switchmode manufacturers.
>                           Brian Goldsmith.

Well, maybe.  I have 3 of GE's version of this in my kitchen, and I can't
hear them at all.  Their little modules may be transformers instead -- they
are sealed -- but there is also an overtemp sensor in there that cuts out
on one of them occasionally.  A switching mode supply would have to have
active devices in it, right?  I can't tell if mine has any, but the other
guy has cut his open and finds nothing that meets the spec.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database
is waiting for your input at