RFI

[RFI] Apology

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Apology
From: dgsvetan@collins.rockwell.com (dgsvetan@collins.rockwell.com)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 09:26:35 -0500

Bill and Pete,

My feeling is that it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference as to
which bands these units are on, because the fact remains that use of these
things in the US is just plain illegal, with the user subject to violating
federal law.  Yeah, it's bad news if any of these gadgets actually do
operate in the 2m ham band (remember, a lot of the rest of the world,
especially ITU Regions 1 and 3, get only 144-146).  And for those that
operate the 249/375 split, there can be spurs and other "junk" that hit our
frequencies, not to mention the surprise someone may get if the US military
comes calling on them because those units are operating in the mil tactical
frequency bands.  Incidentally, note that at least one of the systems uses
220 to 280 MHz for one direction of transmission.  So, users of that gem
could incur the wrath of hams or military, depending upon which channels
they use.

So, I agree with Pete's original assessment about these vendors being low.
Not only is their product illegal to use in the States, but they don't have
the guts to post a warning to unsuspecting buyers that they will be in
violation of federal law if they use the product in this country.  ("Not
approved by FCC" is NOT, to my mind, a warning of law violation.)  Perhaps
this "business" will nosedive when/if a few of the users get nailed and
they, in turn, sic the authorities on the vendors.

It is still worth passing the info around;  if some of these units really
are operating in the 146 MHz  (as witnessed by  K7MT) and 220 MHz bands,
they will cause interference and the owners/users will probably be quite
shocked when the local RFI tracking team arrives.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

Please respond to "bill thomas" <k1xt@hotmail.com>

I checked the Cordlessmart site yesterday and it clearly had 146 listed for
the base.  Honest to God.  I wish now I would have printed it out.  Now
this
morning it shows 375.  No doubt they got plenty of e-mails when all this
was
posted and probably changed it.  I really couldn't believe it, but it was
clearly shown in the specs as 146 for the base.

Bill   K1XT