RFI

[RFI] RE: Cable Modem RFI/EMI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RE: Cable Modem RFI/EMI
From: wb3fsr@home.com (Peter D. Vouvounas)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:44:31 -0500
Pete,

Morning - Seems I have all of the utilities working to clear various RFI
issues these days Comcast - GPU etc.

Just yesterday the cable guys (wasn't that a movie) were out with their
sniffers looking for leaks after a bit of prodding on my part.

I have been tracking interference (cable leaks) on 145.25 MHz also monitor
their test signal on 121.2625 MHz.

Running a dual band Satellite rig ICOM IC-821 with collinear ant around 65'
Sig. strength varies from S3 - S6

IFR attached to 24 element VHF yagi (horizontal) around 45' AGL I find at
least five leak directions with the strongest approx. True North which peers
across the drop point for my home and two other neighbors.  The cable guys
found "A big leak" at this junction yesterday -  One of the other neighbors
drop cable was redone via connector change outs.  After this I still see
about the same sig strength on 145.25 MHz.  Interestingly enough the test
signal strength at 121.2626 is considerable reduced but not the 145.250
signal!

145.250 True North = -95dbm on IFR spectrum with yagi. About a 5db
improvement

Also I've found a carrier on 110.6125 that peaks in different directions
then the other two frequencies mentioned.  I'm not sure what this if from,
signal peaks at 240 degs -80dbm which is not related to the others as a
source direction.  Only one direction completely nulls with lots of peaks
around the compass.