RFI

[RFI] Modem grief from 40M on down

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Modem grief from 40M on down
From: mandolinist@interlync.com (Gary Smith)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 22:06:45 -0500
Greetings,

I have two modems to my compute, One is an older ISA slot  & the
other a PCI
PCtel.

If I get on any band from 40 meters on down the PCtel has a
coronary. 3 watts is
enough to stop it dead in it's tracks & do a redial.

The antenna (butternut HF6V) is only 6-8 feet from the tele line. No
other good place
to put it...

I wound the phone lines around amidon rods & with this I can do
100 watts with the
ISA modem still connecting. Nothing I have tried with ferrites has
worked with the
other. I have a fair collection of lossy ferite here & I must have had
5-6 rods with tele
cord wrapped around it in series & absolutely no go.

Running into a bird dummy load I have no problem with the modem

Any suggestions how to deal with this?

Thanks

KA1J
Gary

Gary Smith

http://musician.dyndns.org

A mother takes twenty years to make a man of her boy,
and another woman makes a fool of him in twenty minutes.