RFI

[RFI] M&S Systems intercom RFI where to start

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] M&S Systems intercom RFI where to start
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 21:59:15 +0000
Perhaps you should try wrapping the wires going in and out of each intercom
unit around ferrite beads (chokes)?  I assume the communication wires are
thin so you could wrap many turns around each bead.  If the wires are
already going somewhere you will have to wrap the slack around a split bead
(since you can't disconnect the wire).  Palomar Engineers sells ferrite
beads.  RF Parts is another source.  I like the RF Parts split beads and the
Palomar rings.   I think the addresses are www.palomarengineers.com and
www.rfparts.com.  These get rid of (or attenuate) rf travelling on the audio
wires and also ac lines gg into the units.  Of course if something is
rectifying your sig. inside the intercoms these won't help.

You don't say if you are interferring with things in your own home.  If you
are, then you may have to solve some station problems.  You may need a balun
at your feedpoint, a common mode filter and low pass filter at your linear;
you may need to get rid of some ground loops and improve your shack ground
or run the linear into a transmatch (even if you don't need it, it's an
extra tank circuit that will attenuate harmonics below the cutoff on the low
pass filter).

73,

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ