RFI

[RFI] Sony TV Noise Generator

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Sony TV Noise Generator
From: eedwards@oppd.com (EDWARDS, EDDIE J)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:19:41 -0500
I had the same experience with the TV shops as Peter.  All they could do
is "repair" the power supply back to factory specs, which still left it
very noisy.  The had NO CLUE about RF emissions or how to measure them.

I have to relate this story:  It's so bad in the TV repair industry that
the manager offered me a job on the spot after watching me fiddle with
an old used RCA they had on display.  I managed to get a decent looking
picture by simply picking up the remote and making some adjustments.
Apparently none of his "techs" had gotten it even close.  I should've
grabbed my TV and left at that point!

I heard from a ham in Jakarta on this list who also had bad luck with
Sony so this is a worldwide problem not a US one.  He reported having
good luck with JVC who has a superior picture in my opinion.  Almost
bought a JVC myself, but decided to go with a less expensive TV set
since HDTV is supposedly going to make all of our current sets obsolete.

73, de ed -K0iL