RFI

[RFI] Shielding

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Shielding
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 08:59:25 -0500
After 48 years as a ham, there are still many big holes in my technical
understanding of things.  One of the biggest is shielding -- elementary
questions like:

Does a shield box for RF need to be grounded?  What about a shield against
magnetic fields?

Should high-impedance audio circuits always be installed in a metal box to
prevent hum pickup?

Does the material of a shield box make any difference as long as it is a
good conductor?

Should signal grounds in a computer cable be grounded to the shield box at
each end, or deliberately left to float?

I have looked for a coherent discussion of shielding against various types
of signal ingress, without success.  There are passing references in the
Handbook under various other headings, but typically they seem to assume
knowledge I just don't have.

Can anyone suggest a good, entry-level discussion of the subject anywhere?

Thanks,

73, Pete N4ZR

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower