RFI

[RFI] Mike's excellent page . . .

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Mike's excellent page . . .
From: wsanders@wsanders.net (Wiley Sanders)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:12:10 -0800
Thanks Mike for the excellent page at http://rfiservices.info/tips.htm.

I would like to elaborate on one point: "shut off all power to your premises
by turning off the MAIN circuit breaker ... if the noise on the AM radio stops
while the power is off, the source of the interference is within your own
residence."

I didn't find this to be true ay my old QTH. I had severe power line noise
there and was never able to operate HF. In my case the noise went away when I
disconected the mains - BUT the noise originated outside the home and was
reradiated by the wiring inside the house. The neighborhood had underground
utilities, so all the noise appeared to be radiated from the houses themselves.

FWIW these houses had weird grounds. There was no ground rod installed at my
house, although I think the electrical was connected to the rebar in the slab
via a thin wire, which sorta meets code. My service connection was four wire,
with the fourth wire a bare conductor connected to who knows what at the other
end. There was in fact pretty low ground resistance - I measured it with an
ohmmeter, but at RF, maybe my whole slab was radiating RFI into the house!

-Wiley KF6IIU