RFI

[RFI] 160 Meter RFI Help Needed

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 160 Meter RFI Help Needed
From: STRutledge at aol.com (STRutledge@aol.com)
Date: Sun Jan 26 15:34:11 2003
Hi folks.  I have a problem with RFI on 160 meters.  I just put up a 1/4 wave
sloper on my 65" Rohn 45 tower at the 35' level.  It is fed directly to an
Ameritron switch-box at the base of the tower.  I have a C3E, CC D3W and
yagis for six, two, 222, 432 and 1.2 on the tower as well as a Diamond
vertical and inverted vee for 80/40.  So, the HF stuff all goes through the
switch box.  The UHF/VHF goes direct to the shack in my attic via 7/8" to
1/2" Andrew Heliax.  Tower is grounded with an eight foot rod on one leg.  It
hasn't been up very long.  I get NO RFI of any sort on any other bands, even
when using amp.

The 160 meter sloper is getting into the two control panels on my home
security system.  Anything over about 30 watts causes the "beep" in the two
panels to "beep."  You should hear CW.  I am guessing and a friend is telling
me that the RF is coming down the outside of one of my pieces of

I don't even have a clue where to start.  Do we think this is a function of
the antenna, band, ground system or both??????  If I went to a different type
of antenna, i.e., inverted vee on 160, do we think it might make a difference?

Thanks for your help.

Steve, N4JQQ