RFI

[RFI] Two meter interference

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Two meter interference
From: k0hzi at attbi.com (Jerry)
Date: Sun May 11 12:34:59 2003
There is a steady carrier on 145.260 to 145.265.  Have turned all AC
power off in my apartment and it is still present.  I used the
attenuator feature of my TH-F6A and have snooped around the apartment
building.  The signal strength indicator is just as strong on the
two frequencies mentioned above.  I also have a old Icom 2AT two
meter handheld and the signal is present on it also and also on
the two meter base rig, a Azden PCS-6000H.  If I remove the outside
antenna on the Azden I can hear this carrier down in the noise.
Tuning off to 145.250 or 145.275 the signal sounds like there is
a hash or buzzing sound.  Goes away at 145.220 and 145.290.  Snooped
using the TH-F6 on the outside of the building with the attenuator
activated.  The carrier is coming from the basement or garden level
it appears.  I do not have good relations with tenants living in the
garden level, so can not go snooping in those apartments.  What could
it be?  There is cable that contains, broadband Television, Internet
and digital Telephone.  Have put the HT's near my cable even with the
cable not connected so it does not appear to be "leaky".  I have cable
ready Television so I do not use a cable converter for the TV and it is
off most of the time. Have cable Internet, put the HT's near the cable
modem, signal does not appear to be leaking out of it.

I do not know how long the carrier has been interfering.  The local
radio club put the two meter repeater back on the air after an long
absence.  Assigned to 145.310 output, some times the hash or buzz opens
the squelch from the interfering carrier and need to have the squelch
control all the way at the stop position to quiet the noise.  Also there
are repeaters that I listen to on 145.170 and 145.370 that seem not to
be effected even with "loose" squelch setting.

What could the carrier be? Do not hear any audio on the signal.
When there is a signal on the repeater output I can not hear any
buzz or weird audio interference on 145.310.

Any ideas?

Jerry - K0HZI