RFI

[RFI] PLC Testing

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] PLC Testing
From: W4EF at dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Mon May 26 00:17:46 2003
It is interesting to note that the BPL consortium is not proposing
to use the spectrum between 500 KHz and 2 MHz. If this technology
is so very compatible with wireless spectrum users, why are they
not trying to stake out the AM broadcast spectrum? This segment
of spectrum probably has a lower transmission loss and higher
SNR than any portion of the 2 to 30 MHz spectrum. Could it be
that they are worried about AM broadcast signals overloading
their modem front-ends if they take the 2 MHz high-pass filters out
of their equipment? Or is it that they are banking on the lack of
political clout on the part of the spectrum users in the 2 to 30 MHz
range (as opposed to Westwood One, et al)?

Read the articles on BPL in the IEEE Communications Magazine
(April and May 2003 issues). Most of the articles make very little
mention of compatibilty with other services. The ones that do,
make sweeping generalizations about supposed compatability
with little or no hard data or analysis to back up their work. In fact
the flavor their approach to the regulatory problem smacks of a
"how do we make it pass" mentality. The whole thing is a big
snow job, but the FCC will buy it if nobody forces them to face
up to the reality of the interference potential. This certainly won't
come from the BPL industry. They will do everything in their power
to draw attention away from the naked emperor.