RFI

[RFI] stealth RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] stealth RFI
From: k5uj at hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Mon Jun 16 20:14:05 2003
Hi Ted,

RF is weird at times and can be pretty frustrating.  It seemingly defies
logic.  I'm not sure if you are having the problem or your buddy but anyway,
you left out a few things:  Are you running a low-pass filter in your
feedline to your antenna?  If not, I'd get one and give it a try.  There was
a LP filter survey article in QST a few months ago (it might have been last
year) in which a bunch of filters were reviewed.   It is probably on-line
from the ARRL web site.  You could look at it and select a filter.

You mention something about RF in the shack.  Do you mean, RF in your tx
audio?  That's a separate problem from the TVI in some ways, (but some
things you do about the TVI may help with the audio RF if you have any).
Besides the LP filter, I'd try a few other things.  I hate to say it but you
may have more work to do.  In my experience, a 1 kw amp needs a pretty good
ground.  Depending on where you are, one rod may not be enough.  I'd put in
at least two more, each at least 4 or 5 feet away from the one you already
have in.  The one in now should be the center rod with the others coming off
it, each with its own strap from the center, i.e. don't daisy chain them.
It's better to have all this below grade also.

You don't say what band you are operating on when you cause interference.
If it's 10 meters your 10' ground run is just about a 1/4 wave antenna.  If
possible, try to make it shorter, as in about 5 or 6 feet (hard to do I
know) so your gear sees a lower reactance on that band.  I would also
recommend using either a heavier gauge cable such as 2/0 gauge from Home
Depot, or better yet, some 3" wide copper strap which is available in rolls
from AES and perhaps other vendors.   Try to avoid sharp bends in your run
to the rods.  Use the ferrite beads on your audio cables into your rig (mic
cord for example) if you have RF getting into your tx audio.

As always, do the easy stuff first such as trying the LP filter.  That may
make a big difference.  You don't mention if the tv is connected to an
antenna or cable service.  It's real hard if not impossible to keep 1kw of
rf out of a consumer electronic product connected to an antenna that's near
the tx antenna.  You have done a lot already--I'd try protecting the tv next
by putting a high pass filter in the line and looping the tv feed thru some
ferrite beads and putting the tv power cord on a line filter--it could be
looped through ferrite beads also.  After all this, the tv front end may
simply not be cabable of rejecting a real strong out of band signal.  Please
report back to the list on the outcome.

73,

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ