RFI

[RFI] Paying for information

To: "Jim Smith" <jimsmith@shaw.ca>, "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>,"Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Paying for information
From: "Cortland Richmond" <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 9:13:9 -0800
There's a long wrangle possible in this topic. Let's make it a short one
(grin).

Jim's paper wasn't in aid of the hobby, but the EMC profession. In this
particular case, it appears the publisher owns the copyright (a "made for
hire" work, perhaps). But while one might talk about physics openly,
handing away one's livelihood is another matter.  People who write books
and magazine articles should be paid for them.

In any event there is a LOT of "free" information to be garnered on the
Web.

There IS a case to be made for free access to _standards_. If government
regulations reference standards one must BUY (ANSI and IEC standards, EN's,
GR's, etc.), it is rather like selling the right to know what the law says.

Hi, Mister. I'm selling subscriptions to stoplights. You can't drive
without one!

Cheers,

Cortland