RFI

[RFI] FORD Sport Track

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] FORD Sport Track
From: David Jordan <wa3gin@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:29:08 -0500

Hi Fellas,

I've been mobiling with HF radio in the Ford truck for a few years...always had high noise from ignition system.

My daughter bought me 20ft of 1" braid for XMAS. I covered all the spark wires with the braid (easy to run them through because of the large diameter). Ground all the braids at the ignitor. Strapped the ends on the plug side with wire wrap.

The ignition noise is completely supressed now. To make this determination I used a sniffer coax connected to the IC-746 mobile radio. Coax has about 6" of shield removed from the center conductor. I sniffed all around the engine after the shielding was installed and no more noise from the engine compartment.

As I made my way back towards the rear of the vehicle I picked up another strong source of noise that had been masked by the ignition noise. This RFI is coming from the fuel pump. During the warrantee of the truck I had Ford install the mode to the fuel pump motor which requied they drop the fuel tank. However, the noise is still there.

To remedy this problem I've installed an ANC-4 by JPS (product now sold by Timewave). This in line RF device works great to remove the fuel pump noise. When Spring comes I'll work on the fuel pump.

Having removed both sources of strong RFI the receiver is now very quiet for listening, while the engine is running. However, when the truck is in motion there is a very strong signal coming the transaxel when the truck is in motion. I believe this is RFI from the ABS sensor on the rear end.

Has anyone got a fix for the noise from the ABS sensors?

The truck is so quiet when stopped that I can hear the RFI from the turn signals when they are activated an on 160m I can also now hear the parking lot AM radio station at National Airport which is about 6 miles away. Could never hear it before as it was burried in local RFI.

73,
dave
wa3gin