RFI

[RFI] BPL in Canada - here we go

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] BPL in Canada - here we go
From: "knesbitt" <knesbitt@nucleus.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:28:25 -0700
Roger,
I'm sure you caught it but notice his reference to "interaction with other
users on the unlicensed spectrum". All well and fine but what about the
licensed hf users, which I believe was the point of your letter. This seems
to raise more questions then they've answered.. I would request an immediate
clarification to his response.

Best Regards,

K. Nesbitt,  VE6IV
---

>I have received the following response to a message I
>sent to the GM of PUC....

><Roger:
>
>We have involved Industry Canada from the inception of
>this project (back in May of 2003). Industry Canada
>personnel will be in Sault Ste. Marie to conduct a
>number of tests and measurements with respect to how
>BPL interacts with other users on the unlicensed
>spectrum.
>
>Based on other test results that we have seen in U.S.
>deployments, we do not believe that we will encounter
>any significant issues that cannot be addressed.

your proposed deployment of BPL in The Sault. If it is
>successful, it could clearly be of benefit to
>consumers living outside the range of DSL or cable TV
>internet.
>
>My understanding is that the BPL transmission over
>your medium voltage power lines will take place at
>frequencies in the HF region, although final
>distribution will use IEEE 802.11b. Power transmission
>lines are inherently poorly balanced for high radio
>frequencies and there must therefore be significant
>radiation from the lines. I wonder what steps you have
>taken to ensure that your system cannot cause
>interference to other users of the HF spectrum, and to
>ensure that other legitimate users cannot disrupt your
>system?
>
>I look forward to your reply.
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Roger Parsons