RFI

Re: [RFI] My power line noise problems, revisited (Warning, thisislong!)

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] My power line noise problems, revisited (Warning, thisislong!) No...
From: n0tt1@juno.com
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:20:19 +0000
Tom wrote:

> Generally a bad lightning arrestor or punctured insulator fails
> within a few
> years. This almost has to be sloppy installation. A walk around the
> area
> with a 50MHz AM radio and a sledge hammer to "tap" poles would tell
> you more
> than a year with a ultrasonic detector.

True, one should find the troublesome structure *first* with a
radio, but *then* use a ultrasonic detector to locate the piece(s) of
hardware on that structure that are causing the problem.

Mike, of RFI Services, told me he would never be without both a
radio *and* the ultrasonic detector.

As far as tapping the poles...it works most of the time to locate loose
hardware/connections, but it's a practice that CAN be unexpectedly
lethal.

73
Charlie
N0TT