RFI

Re: [RFI] Local noise

To: "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Local noise
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:19:36 -0800
> At the suggestion of a number of people, I have put a 30-second MP3
> recording of my noise on my web site at www.qsl.net/n4zr/160noise.mp3.
I'd
> appreciate it if anyone who has time (and maybe an oscilloscope) could
give
> a listen and tell me what you think this is.  The recording was made in AM
> mode on my Mark 5, with 6 kHz bandwidth.

Pete,

When I looked at your recording with digipan, I could see
a fairly strong line in the waterfall at 120 Hz. Can you make
the same recording with the antenna disconnected from the
FT1K-MK5 (~ same volume levels)? The noise sounds
to me like it has a powerline "buzz" in it, but there may also
be a low frequency hum in there too. I'd like to make sure
that the 120 Hz component  I am seeing in the waterfall is
really noise coming off-the-air rather than hum that might
be coming from your rig or sound card.

Thanks,